Every year I try to make a list of goals that I want to achieve with my writing. (I also have monthly and daily goals. It keeps me on track.) In 2015 I had my best writing year ever, writing over 200,000 words. I knew I’d never match that in 2016 with working from home and my partner’s health issues, so the goal I set for 2016 was 185,000 words.
I didn’t make it, but it wasn’t too bad a year. In 2016, I wrote a total of 152,421 new words on books. I don’t count blog posts, editing, or any other words for promotional purposes, just new words on novels and short fiction.
My other goals were to:
- complete edits for Murder Once Seen and promote it: Done
- finish and submit Book Two of the Oddities series (Fraud Twice Felt)– done
- finish and self-publish my m/m weretiger novel–done, except I chose instead to submit it to Riptide, so they’ll be publishing it
- finish and submit my YA m/m novel–not done
- finish and self-publish my 3rd pen name erotica serial romance–7/10 parts done and published, almost done with Part 8.
- finish the fantasy novel in my first pen name–lol, still not done. Lowest of my priorities.
So now, since I know I’ll be deep in editing for the first quarter of the year on two books coming out in the next six months, plus since I’m starting a new job tomorrow and don’t know what my writing schedule will be, I’m going to keep my writing goals for 2017 conservative.
My goal for 2017 is to write 150,000 new words.
In addition, my goals for 2017 are to complete editing and promote the books Forest of Thorns and Claws and Fraud Twice Felt, finish the YA m/m paranormal book and submit it, complete the last parts of the Deena erotic serial romance, write the 3rd Oddities book, and maybe, just maybe finish the never ending fantasy novel.
1. Forest of Thorns and Claws (weretiger M/M), completed, final length 65k: Developmental edits submitted, awaiting line edits. Currently scheduled to release 3/20.
2. Fraud Twice Felt: The Oddities Book Two, (gay paranormal), completed, final length 98k: Working on line edits. Currently scheduled to release 5/29.
3. Fae Fortunes (YA M/M paranormal), currently at 52,813, estimated total 65k.
4. Deena and the Professor (Trudy Judd, BDSM romance), 7 out of 10 parts written, almost done with Part 8 which is currently at 10,800. Estimating 12k for Part 8, 10k for Part 9, and 9k for Part 10.
5. A Conspiracy Uncovered: The Oddities Book Three (gay paranormal), currently at 12,096, total estimated 95k.
6. Fantasy novel currently at 87,257 words, total will be 110k.
If I total up the words needed to finish all these current WIPS, it comes to about 138k. So there’s my year, basically.